MEDIA RELEASE (09.04.2021): It’s time for all men to take responsibility to prevent sexual harassment, abuse and violence.
It is time for all guys – youthful and aged – to consider duty for avoiding the sexual harassment, abuse and violence that we know is endemic in our society.
We are facing a national reckoning. Men’s violence and sexual degradation of females have to prevent. We know that all-around 95% of all victims of violence, whether or not females or gentlemen, working experience violence from a male perpetrator.
It is adult males who have to have to make the selection to problem their individual imagining and adjust their very own conduct. Adult males want to act in solidarity with the women of all ages who have led the force for structural and cultural change.
Men’s conduct is at the coronary heart of this trouble. But guys can be section of the option. We realize that from time to time it is difficult for males and boys to know how to prevent violence. People today concern saying or doing the completely wrong factor. Individuals also concern the achievable repercussions of speaking up it’s in some cases a lot easier to preserve quiet.
As a team of organisations engaging men and adolescent boys to stop the use of violence, we persuade males and boys to do additional and present a several straightforward measures they can just take nowadays.
- Believe females. Hear to the gals in our lives and discover from their encounters.
- Guidance gals. No matter if it be in your workplace, family members or community organisation, back again the ladies in your lifestyle.
- Mirror on and challenge rigid adherence to gender stereotypes which we know are intently involved with the use of violence.
- Call out disrespect, harassment and abuse each time we see it taking place – and be nonviolent by yourself.
- If you are concerned about your behaviour and attitudes, take duty for your steps and attain out for help.
We simply call on gentlemen and boys to join the movement for gender equality and political motion. We invite all guys and boys to amplify the calls designed by the March4Justice which includes total implementation of the 55 tips of the Human Rights Commission’s [email protected] report noting the Federal Government’s recent dedication to all tips. We are also searching for introduction of a gender effects assertion on all government policy and legislation.
Adult males should do the do the job to change the society of inequality that permits violence and sexual harassment to thrive – in our life, in our workplaces, social structures and guidelines.